Thread: [PC/X1][Obsidian] Grounded

Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LaB NL PSN ID: LaB_NL Steam ID: LikeaBunny

[PC/X1][Obsidian] Grounded

Obsidian’s Grounded is a survival game crossed with Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    A teeny-tiny adventure for Xbox and PC

Obsidian is a studio best-known for deep, intriguing role-playing games like Fallout: New Vegas and, most recently, The Outer Worlds. But the studio’s next release moves in a completely different direction. At X019 in London, Obsidian revealed Grounded, a survival game set in a suburban backyard where a group of four friends has to fend for themselves after being shrunk down to the size of an ant. “It’s a little different than what you’re used to seeing from Obsidian,” says director Adam Brennecke.

Grounded, which is the first new property from Obsidian since the studio was acquired by Microsoft, is a four-player co-op experience that can be played in both first- and third-person. Like most survival games, you’ll build a base, craft gear, gather resources, and hunt and cook food. What Obsidian hopes will make the game stand out is the setting.

The game has a very Honey, I Shrunk the Kids vibe. The four main characters were all shrunken as part of an experiment and are now forced to survive the untamed wilds that are actually a standard American suburban backyard. Seen from this new perspective, things feel very different: bugs become giant monsters, while a simple baseball is a huge structure. A patch of grass is a forest to traverse, and weedkiller turns an area into a toxic zone.

According to Brennecke, part of the appeal of the setting for the studio was its accessibility. “It’s something that everyone is familiar with,” he explains. “Everyone has an expectation for what they’ll see in this world. It’s very approachable, even on a global scale. Everyone knows what insects do, how they behave; even the man-made objects you find in the yard are familiar. It’s a pretty cool environment as a game designer to come up with ideas. It’s a setting where everyone on the team, and even outside the team, can be a designer and contribute ideas.”

It’s also much more elaborate than it might seem. Despite being developed by a relatively small 12-person team, Grounded features what Brennecke describes as a robust and realistic ecosystem. “It’s a huge ecosystem where the insect life is being simulated outside of the view of the player,” he says. “We want to make insects to behave like we all expect insects to behave. So an ant colony will send out scout ants to search for food, and will battle the player over food. They communicate through a pheromone system with other any colonies. And there’s a day / night cycle where this ecosystem is constantly changing. Things come out at night like giant spiders and fireflies.”

Grounded will be available in spring 2020. It’s coming to Game Pass on both Xbox One and PC, and it will also be available through Steam early access.
    bron

Last edited by Like-a-Bunny; 14th November 2019 at 22:27.
    Vragen? Stuur een mailtje naar info@liquidbunny.nl of spreek me aan op Steam.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh.

Aan de ene kant een tof concept, maar het is wel het laatste wat je van een studio zoals Obsidian verwacht.

Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shappy1010 Steam ID: RPGer
    Ik kan niet wachten

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 76561198014917105
    Tja, er zijn al zo veel survival games. Ik zie ook liever dat Obsidian doet waar ze doorgaans in shinen.

Mentioned
    1160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: LiquidT
    Ik vind het juist cool. Ik ben altijd wel geintrigeerd door survival games, maar er zijn er weinig die het echt goed doen. Wat dat betreft is het alweer een tijdje geleden dat ik een toffe survival game heb gespeeld. Dus tja, Obsidian die zich er aan waagt, dat vind ik dan weer wel interessant.
    Vragen? Stuur een mailtje naar info@liquidbunny.nl of spreek me aan op Steam.

Mentioned
    593 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheGreatTS PSN ID: Tonne_Boveld
    Survival is niet m'n genre. Maar altijd hetzelfde doen dat lijkt me ook op te breken.

Alsof Waarom heet deze game niet Honey I Shrunk the kids?!?!
    "As God as my witness I will put you through that fucking wall!"
    - Frank Murphy

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outer Worlds is uiteindelijk flink op gecut en bespaard en is niet meer dan een budget indie titel. Dat dit een survival game wordt past eigenlijk weer precies in dat zelfde straatje. 99% van de survival games zijn tegenwoordig early access, indie, low budget, buggy, of een combinatie ervan.

State of Decay 2 heb ik toevallig vorige week een tijdje gespeeld. Tof concept, mooi doorgebouwd op deel 1, maar ook maar leuk voor een paar uurtjes. Daarna is het gewoon een collect & return walking simulator met onnodig veel micro management.